Friday, December 12, 2008

Good reading!




I was just thinking about one of my favorite books by Cynthia Rowley and Ilene Rosenzweig.

I love my Swell :Girls guide to the Good life. Here's a few excerpts
Introduction:
It's the guide to navigating the world with a little swagger and a lot of grace.
THE NINE CHAPTERS IN THIS BOOK SWING HIGH TO LOW. FROM TRUFFLES TO DEVILED EGGS. FROM DEAN MARTIN'S HANGOVER CURE TO THE FINE ART OF SQUEEZING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE INTO A FOUR INCH PURSE TO FOOLPROOF TECHNIQUES FOR CLIMBING INTO A CAB IN A PENCIL SKIRT WITHOUT FLASHING PANTY.
The chapters are a riot! A couple to mention

Chapter one: BREAK SOME EGGS Enter the imperfect hostess
This has some really great tips for being a hostess and quick fix its for some of those curve balls life throws at you. I think one of my favorite tips was for a super quick dinner party when your in a rush and been working like a dog. Pick up some KFC family buckets and getting nice baskets and lining them with some red checked cloth and adding a sprig of Thyme and finger-licken guests will swear you've been sweating over a fryer since sunup.

Chapter two:SAYING THANK YOU Gratitude and Gratuities
Thankfulness and appreciation are the glue of a swell society.
Great tricks for the slip of the money hand shake.."it will take you places let me tell ya..it works!"
Chapter Three: LOVE Go ahead and take a gamble, so what if you lose your shirt?
Loves a crapshoot, baby!
"I loved the bedside manners tips. Now that I am married those are out the window."
Chapter Four: GET AROUND A top-down girl in a hard-top world
Destinations are often overrated. A Swell knows not to ignore the action in the journey.
Nothing beats learning how to run in high heels when your trying to catch a plane.."I've learned from this chapter".
Chapter Five: HAVE FUN Two words a swell should never utter: I'M BORED
Worrying about acting cool all the time turns people into Stiffs.
"here here!"
Chapter Six: STYLE Not just another pretty dress
Fabulousness, Darling!
"of course this guides you to your own individuality of fashion..be yourself not like everyone else"
I am gonna keep you all guessing on the other three chapters so you can get a copy of this book for yourselves cause I got a dinner to get ready to go too. Anyways you can only get this book online used cause it is out of print but I highly recommend it!

No comments: